Do you have a sales organization that is struggling in sales? Do they understand the company’s value proposition? Do they understand your company’s message?
Throughout my career, I have been a sales contributor, an entrepreneur, and part of the leadership team. One question that always comes to mind and that I seek clarification is, “what significant sales value does our team bring to the table that differentiates us from our competitors? Think about this question for a moment.
The sales values are not specifications of a hardware model, nor are they the software development language for a mobile application. These are key statements or sentences that each salesperson must master in order to convince the customer that they need to do business with them. Your sales team needs to understand your sales values. And once they do, they will be able to convert a prospect into a customer. Without this knowledge, most salespeople will create their own statement or flounder trying to figure out what the company’s value proposition is.
- Once you are able to influence the prospect and they take the bait, will they take one step closer to becoming a hot prospect.
- Once you collaborate with the sales team to determine your company’s weakness in the opportunity — why the prospect was not biting on the bait, only then can you change your game plan to influence the prospect to take them to the next step in the buying process.
- By creating a consistent message across the sales team, there is no more guessing, the entire sales team uses the same sales methodology throughout the selling process. All salespeople are talking the same language.
- By creating the same sales value, all marketing and communication materials are used uniformly, influencing the prospect to take the next step in the sales cycle.
- Lastly, creating sales value helps keep departments focused, on track, determines what influences people’s purchasing decisions.
Now you are wondering how do you create your own sales values? The steps are the same when creating case studies. You start by interviewing your current customers, as well as lost clients. Each win/loss will be unique to your own business and industry.
Sample interviewing question and answers:
Why did you select our consulting firm over our competitor?
Answer 1. We selected your firm base upon the personalization your firm offers. We did not see that with your competitors. We felt like we were going to be just another client. We want to feel like we mattered in your book of business.
Personalization is part of the sales value you bring to your clients.
Answer 2. We have been looking for a solution like this for the last 6 months. Other consulting firms said they could offer this service. However, when push come to shove, they were creating the service as we became a client. By you demonstrating the capabilities of your platform, we found it obvious that you understood our business model, created a testing platform, and the outcome was exactly what we needed.
Understood the client business and executed on their requirements
Answer 3. I would have paid 4 times the amount of your product and/or service if it saves time, increases productivity, reduces cost, and makes my department look like rock stars. The client needs to see the value in the product or service. If they do not, they will not move from a prospect to a customer. However, if they see the value and you provide exceptional customer service, they will become a life long customer.
The prospect needs to see VALUE in the product or service they are purchasing
It very important that your sales organization knows and understand the sales value of your product and service. Salespeople need to understand and believe in the company’s value proposition. They need to be able to rattle them off in a moments notice — just like your company’s elevator pitch. As a sales leader, I would post them up on the wall in the office, in each salesperson’s cubical, and use during sales performance training.
Now go create your own sales value. Sooner or later, all your salespeople will all be speaking the same language and sales will begin to skyrocket.